Calif. Hunter: I bought one of the first 17 HMR Rifles back when they were brand new.
Back then I cleaned every 50 rounds as no one knew any better and I was guessing with that interval - based on some 17 caliber centerfires I owned.
I now clean my 17 HMR's every 250 rounds, or closely thereabouts.
I have friends that have run 1,000 rounds through their 17 HMR Rifles over the course of a couple of days and have not cleaned them - and they have not noticed declining accuracy afield.
Back in early 1993 I was testing some Remington 17 HMR ammo in my Ruger 77/17 V/T and I shot a group (5 shots at 100 yards) measuring .502".
This has been my best grouping to date there at 100 yards.
I only rarely shoot my 17 HMR's for group anymore though - just for sight-in verifications when needed.
Many of my friends use the 17 caliber bore snakes for cleaning their 17 HMR's and over the last 9 years I have run a snake through my 17 HMR bores just a couple of times.
I am dubious of the force it takes to pull the snake through the barrel though!
I have not noticed a diminshment of accuracy afield with my 250 shot cleaning interval regimen.
I won't claim my policy is the right answer to your question but it works for me and keeps my "gun-conscience" clean.
Interesting question you ask and I will keep tabs on this thread for more experiences/opinions.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy