No it isn't restricted to Military only. The Bucks do stay at a distant and i was on a Bow hunt and killed a doe and i watched the Bucks circle the stands about 150 yards out and they would lay down and you could hollow and wave at them and they wouldn't pay any attention as long as they where at that distant. That is why i put in for the slug hunt. I purchased the BPS Hasting barrel and mounted a 3.5 x 10 Leupold on it and practiced all summer out to 150 yards and could bust gallon jugs 10 out of ten with the Remington Copper Slug. When on the hunt the Bucks followed their same routine walk around in front of the stands about 150 yards . I put a fooling on this big boy , he though he was safe but the shot was a piece of cake and he went down with a shoulder shot, i walk over to him and he was trying to raise his head and i put another at point blank range in the neck . You are only allowed 5 rounds on the hunt.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.