Originally Posted by lovemy99
A few questions on the Rs and RS... any chance you could get me the serial numbers, 2 or 3 point, caliber...especially the 303 with the two point checkering... oh and the RT...

Yep, I'll try to remember to get some info on those.

Also, how about a story of the 30-30 RS? Does it letter as an RS? I was under the impression that the only lot of 30-30 Rs were order by Stoeger. Looks like the sign says NV state Police. Pics would be 0342

It's actually NY State Police, the gun is the one that Murray had and talks about in his book. It is an R and not an RS, that's a typo.

[Linked Image]

The K in 22HP with an HRBP needs a story for sure... GEDC0363

Good catch, not sure anybody will have an answer. It's Ralph's though, so I'll ask him.

[Linked Image]

what is the gun above the R&D 308EG? 0373

That's another R&D 308EG, they were both attempts to redesign the buttstock to take the pressure on the side panels rather than on the wood behind the tang. You can see where the side panels meeting the receiver are curved.

The attempts failed, by the way.

There were 3 redesign attempts, these are 2 of the rifles that were made.

holy crap... okay... I have to hear about the gun in 0376 with the tang sight built into the raised wood??? What is that deal all about??? Very cool!

Rick says we talked about that one on the forum a couple years ago, might be worth finding the thread. Basically it's an attempt to do a builtin peep sight.. and it's definitely different!

[Linked Image]

okay and 0379 with the three leaf and unique engraving?

That's a very early 1899 that was bought or given to John A. Roberts, who is one of the original backers/owners of Savage. His name is engraved on the side.

how about the engraved T in 0444?

is the top gun in 0480 an 1895 with an 1899 butt stock?

The pistol in 0504 is AMAZING!

Awesome stuff... some great 1899s/ 99s/ 22s/ and pistols! Man, i wish I was there!

Engraved T is Steve's, don't know who did the work but it is nice. The rifle in 480 is an 1895 with a replaced buttstock - it was also a case colored receiver.

The pistols is cmhjohn's (of coursegrin). Engraver was named Willig who worked out of PA, and that's probably my favorite pistol of his. Not Tue's work, but truthfully it's a higher level of engraving than Savage did on any of the pistols.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com