JJHack, you are a voice of common sense amoungst all the hype and misinformation directed at the hunting community by the manufacturers of these items. I think they must have signs in the executive's offices which read"It's a sin to let a sucker keep their money".
Activated charcoal absorbes moisture from the air and can become supersaturated before a hunter even wears it into the woods.
I read articles and see pictures of guys wearing rubber booting into an area in order to leave no scent. Here is something to try which will blow a hole in that theory. Have someone keep your dog in the house, put on a pair of rubber boots and head out and try and hide from your dog. If it is anything like mine it will track you down and end up finding you in your hiding place. Imagine a deer with a smelling system even better than your dogs.
Some good people to talk to are dog handlers from your local law inforcement people or the local search and rescue. If their dogs can locate you with all these scent eliminateing products then a deer will have no problem locateing you.
Nothing can work better for you than paying attention to wind direction.