I'm in the market for a new/used truck. I thought I was decided on a Tacoma Crew Cab/long bed 4x4/V-6, but the pickings are pretty slim locally, and when I can find one that I want, the prices seem quite high. On a whim I stopped at a local Chevy dealer and looked over a couple of 2009 Silverado extended cabs/4x4/Z-71's, and was quite impressed. The prices on the Chevys were quite a bit lower than comparible optioned Tacomas. I have owned both Toyota Tacomas and Silverados in the past and am having a hard time deciding which way to go.
I usually drive around 40,000 miles a year, mostly highway. Any heavy hauling I do is with my tandem axle trailer, but never long distances or real heavy loads. As far as off roading goes, very limited, like driving down to my back meadows, or getting into my hunting area which may have 6" of snow covering the gravel road.
I am planning on keeping which ever vehicle I buy for the next five years, which realistically means it will have +200,000 miles on it. My gut tells me to go with the Toyota, but I would like to hear from you all.