Originally Posted by Fifth
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Fifth, I'm surprised at you. Really a 270?? eek

I know, I know. What I really want is a 6.5-06 but finding that in a factory rifle is near impossible. I suppose the 264 WM is an option but I've got enough magnum barrel burners at the moment and think the 6.5-06 would fill a nice hole in my rifle stable. The 35 Whelen is arguably the harder one to justify, as if a gun purchase can be "justified"......looney. Anyway, I do have a hole between my 300 WSM and 375 Ruger but the logical choice is a 338WM. But who ever said a rifle looney is logical? The 35 Whelen has good style points in my book so it is getting some serious consideration.

Fifth,

Now, now... You've simply got to decide whether you want another small bore or medium bore rifle!

And, quite frankly, your .300 WSM and .375 Ruger have all the the bases covered, IMHO.... With that said:

How much difference do you think there truly is between a 6.5-06, .264 WM, .270 Win, .280 Rem (and the 7x57 Mauser and the 7x64 Brenneke) to really matter or make any type of practical difference and/or effectiveness on game?....

Note: I have never taken any game with any of the cartridges mentioned above... I'm not trying to pass myself off as any kind of expert in such matters... There are many folks on here that have far more hunting experience than me...

With that stated, I would like to post a few pics of my "companion" rifle to my .35 Whelen that I posted above....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Stainless Ruger M77 Mk II in .280 Remington customized by Lone Star Armory. Action, barrel, and bottom metal have been vapor honed to a matte finish. Pillar bedded in factory synthetic stock. Scope rings lapped. Bolt and extractor jeweled. Trigger tuned to 3.5 lb pull. Bolt lugs lapped. Action polished. Extractor tuned."
http://www.lone-star-armory.com/photos/ruger280/rgr280rem.html

Hmmm.... A .280 Rem and a .35 Whelen.... Not a bad pair to have, IMHO... A fella do could a lot worse!!... grin

Fifth,

You will always be able to buy a rifle in .270 Winchester. Rifles chambered in .35 Whelen, produced by a major manufacturer, are not that common... Buy the rifle in .35 Whelen and enjoy it. A Ruger chambered in .35 Whelen may have some value in the future... Any rifle in .270 Win not so much... Just my two cents....

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile