Originally Posted by Badley
I just purchased a MEC sizemaster a few days back. I was wondering from experience what hulls a fella should go with for upland birds and clays.

Originally Posted by Badley
I guess while im asking. is one type of wad better than another?

First off let me say....cheap is good and the claybuster wads are less costly and an excellent wad!

I see a few folks recommending Remington hulls.....nothing wrong with that....I used AA hulls for clays and some great upland loads....baby magnums (1 3/8 OZ) worked very well on pheasant and duck back in the days when lead shot was legal for waterfowl.

Today I like the federal hulls as I load steel in them and it makes a fine duck load.....but in all sincerity....one is actually better off to buy his steel loads.....very little to nothing is saved by reloading steel.

That said reloading is just plain fun and even at a break even some find it therapeutic...LOL

I still prefer to load the federal hulls as it seems there's more room in the hull....but the real clincher is to stay with one hull....mixing hulls is a recipe for frustration...

If you start with STS hulls then stay with them....same for federal hulls....

I heard that Winchester changed the AA hulls....why is beyond me.....and I don't know anything about the new hull....so I haven't bought AA hulls for a very long time

Last edited by vapodog; 09/17/12.