Hello All,

I recently acquired a 280 O.K.H. experimental rifle built-up by Elmer Keith.

I was wondering if any of the old time Forum Members might have any of Elmer Keith's rifle books that might show this rifle. Perhaps it may have been referenced in articles in Guns Magazine or other publications of the time.

The rifle was built up from a Gewehr 98 action, with a 26-1/2'' medium-weight bull barrel. Barrel is marked ''.280-O.K.H.'' (O'Neil, Keith & Hopkins) at the side. It is topped with an Lyman Alaskan All-Weather scope, one of Keith's favorites. Top of barrel is also marked ''280-300-CCC'' (Controlled Combustion Chamber), a later and final chambering by O'Neil. Apparently the 280 O.K.H. is a .300 H&H magnum case reconfigure it to take a .28 cal. 180-grain bullet.

Approximately 450 .280 cal. projectiles and 100 pcs of H&H brass in a small wooden crate were included with the rifle. The crate has a Railway Express label and the top of crate lid is addressed to Elmer Keith, North Fork, Idaho; sides of crate are additionally marked ''C.M. O'Neil, Hopkins, Minn.''.

The North Fork Idaho address is the location of Keith's ranch in the the 1930s and early 1940s on the North Fork of the Salmon River near Salmon, Idaho. The rifle corresponds to the years just prior to WWII.

Elmer Keith developed many important firearms calibers. He experimented with many various rifle cartridge configurations, some of which caught on and became famous, and other calibers such as this that became stepping stones to more effective cartridges.

I was able to find the following reference in the May 1960 issue of GUNS, Elmer mentions this rifle specifically.

[Linked Image]

Whats that? .... Eagles?

Here is what the rifle looks like with its accessories.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Anyone finding a reference, please respond.

thanks

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.