Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by Rene
Not sure I understand the need to shoot game animals at long range but it is definately an impressive shooting feat. It is not hunting though, very rare a situation hunting were you can not get within 300 yards of an identified game animal. I can usually get within 100 yards of any North American game. I have two 270WSM T3's they shoot great groups from 100-300 yards. I handload them with 140gr accubonds.

dude seriously?? you must have never hunted in the mountains or the western US or the high deserts of the west either. animals don't stand around and wait to get shot. terrain is difficult and often noisy to cross such as rock slides etc. I archery hunt all the time where one does have to get within 100 yards and I can tell you every year a trophy buck would be on my wall if I had the distance of a rifle at my disposal at that time of the season.

I bet you had some great success with your bow too. I can't shoot ethically past 40-50 yards with a bow but I probably don't practice as much as you do. I would take up to a 450 yard shot with a couple of my rifles and have only done it once on an antelope but overall with patience I can usually get much closer to game animals. I have never hunted sheep or goats but I was reading posts about head shots at 700 yards and 1000 yard shots. That just doesn't seem like hunting to me. That is pure skillful shooting.