I thought I'd add one of my beauties. I think I must qualify as one of Mule Deer's "rifle loonies".

This is a #1 re-barreled by Todd Lockburner (gunsmith in Monument Colorado). It's a half octagon, half round chambered in 40-82 WCF and is a .406 bore. Todd modified the Ruger scope rib since the half octagon would not use the standard rib and blued the barrel and scope rib. He did an outstanding job. I mounted a Nikon scope.

I use Starline 45-90 brass reformed by Redding form/trim die and Redding 40-82 dies. The slugs are either Hawk 270 or 300 gr, or DKT 260 gr. and Federal 210 primers. I won't give the powder load but with the #1 action strength, it isn't the black powder load velocity. It measures around 2400 fps. This elk was shot with the DKT's and they make a 5 shot ragged hole at 100 yds. The elk was shot at 176 yds by range finder measure. Apologize for the blood. The backstraps had been taken out when the camera was available. She was quartered out as the only altenative was to get out the knife and fork.

The shot was taken from bi-pod rest across a small cut where she was quartering away to my left. The shot entered back of her left (away) ribs and exited at the right chest in the crease of the right foreleg. The heart and lungs were liquified with the entry a nice round 40 caliber and the exit hole was between a quarter and half dollar in size. She dropped at the shot and never moved.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

btw, since it was "unusual" I bought the chamber cutter and it is available for any other loonie to "rent". It has been used but once.