Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by jryoung
I shot an elk with 165 TTSX at about the same range with my 300 WSM. All four petals we gone, but the core of the bullet was intact, my Dad had a similar occurrence with a moose last year at 80yds and a 300 WBY.

I think they need to get below 3,000fps before the petals curl up all pretty, anything fast and they rip right off. Still kill the same at that range though.

Hard to say - I shot an elk with a 270 Wby and 130 TSX last year - distance was under 100 yds and muzzle velocity over 3500. Four perfectly peeled back petals and 100% weight retention. I didn't hit bone, so maybe that has something to do with petals coming off - velocity certainly wasn't an issue.

Bone probably is the key factor, even a rib could do it. I should admit that my 165 TTSX did go through her femur. I had a small window to shoot and she must have turned faster that I thought.

From my elk last year, 7mm RM, 145 LRX, 3,100 @ muzzle, 305 yards, 99.4% and 99.6% weight retention.

[Linked Image]

This was my Dads 180gr TSX from his moose. No petals, but plenty of mass that kept on runnin. My 165TTSX looked very similar.
[Linked Image]

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.