Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
E Blair: I have a "Varminter" in caliber 22 Hornet that is a single shot - it is a Ruger #1-B.
I also have another single shot in 218 Bee (Ruger #1-B) and another single shot that is indeed a "bolt action" in caliber 221 Remington Fireball (Kimber of Oregon Ultra-Varmint).
Along with these "single shots" in the "smaller calibers" I have a BUNCH of single shots in larger calibers.
I do not think you will be seriously hampered with a single shot 22 Hornet - at least based on my experience.
Just practice and plan for rapid reloading of additional cartridges.
As for the reasoning behind a Varminting bolt action single shot I will give up these conjectures - they are cheaper to build and indeed there may be a slight accuracy enhancement with the stiffer action of the single shot?
The Cooper Rifles I have shot and seen shot don't go lacking in the accuracy department much at all whether single shot or repeater.
A "classic" single shot 22 Hornet - in my mind anyway - has already been made. And that is the Ruger #1-B in either the 22 Hornet or 218 Bee. These are now available on the used market.
The route through the "custom riflesmithing" of any Rifle these days is a VERY expensive trip indeed!
I recommend you look into a Ruger #1-B or if the most in accuracy is a prime concern then GO with the Cooper.
Best of luck to you whichever way you go.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks for your input, VarmintGuy. I am thinking of going the Cooper way, with one of the lower cost models. I can't see spending 3 or 4 grand on a rifle and then getting it all wet and messed up in the field. By the way, what do you shoot out in Montana with the hornet? I want to get out there someday and take the kids to enjoy the great outdoors. Maybe shoot a coyote with a hornet too. I like the Ruger no. 1s, but hear they can be a little finicky in the accuracy dept.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.