I have an Alakanak 12�X12� tent and have had it set up many nights. This tent is a solid strategy for two persons with wood stove cots and gear. With all tent purchasing considerations in mind this tent performs very well.
I like the Alakanak for its ease of set up, weight and particularly its forgiving nature in the event it gets put away a little damp. (My wife does not miss having my canvas tent sprawled out in the living room doing so.)
I have had my Alakanak set up for over 60 days on various camps (per day cost to date = $13.00 a night) and with the exception of the floor rip thanks to my carelessness with my ax this tent is holding up great.
I have no problems holding heat in this tent with my cylinder �outfitters� barrel stove though there is a fair amount of free ventilation coming through the vestibules vent. (Not a bad engineering strategy as this air is needed for good ventilation)
I would particularly suggest this tent to those individuals using a tent in wet conditions and for quick set up and quick tear down.
With the Alakanak..During heavy snow periods one will need to shake the snow off as it will accumulate on the roof. My tent has seen several heavy snow related activities. This is no issue as far as I am concerned as I have had to do this with my wall tent as well.
For trips with more than two persons I will still use my 14�X16� canvas wall tent and BTW I like a canvas wall tent� I wish mine was a Davis Tent product as they are the best in my opinion and their product will be my next purchase very soon. �.Be carful of cheap quality canvas wall tent imitations.
The canvas wall tents are still my main stay for packing with stock or for the trail head base camps. With this being said I still like my Alakanak for my two men camping trips and reduced labor with set up tear down and drying.
Regarding a wood stove.. I would suggest buying one size larger that the manufactures specifications for space heating as I have found the larger units have a longer burn time and an added measure of heat out put.