Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I shoot handloads developed for one rifle in other rifles all the time. Then again, I never try to get the absolute last 50 or 100 fps velocity supposedly possible by judging "pressure signs." Instead I pretty much stick to published data, or of that's lacking a velocity that fits in the parameters of published data.

The few exceptions are when published data are pretty wimpy, as with .257 Roberts non-+P loads. One of my favorite loads in the .257 is the 115-grain Nosler Partition or Ballistic Tip and 45.0 grains of H4350. This is two grains over Hodgdon's non-+P data but I've yet to see it produce the slightest sign of excessive pressure in several rifles. Muzzle velocity is usually about 2900 fps, depending on barrel length.

A couple years ago I was doing an article on pump-action rifles, and one of the rifles was a Remington 760 .270. I had a pile of leftover handloads on the shelf from other .270 projects so decided to fire them in the 760. The powder charges were mostly listed maximums, or close to it, from various manuals or websites. The cases of only one load even slightly stuck after being fired--and I suspect the problkem there wasn't excessive pressure but cases that had been fired several times and lost their spring.

Well your bad reloading practices aren't going to affect mine.

NRA Lifetime Member