Unit 181, what can one say! The true elk stat harvest is 8% for this unit and 14% in unit 18. These are DOW stats. Been hunting here for over 5 years now. It is an extremely hard area to hunt for 2 reasons. #1 on a bad year for unit 181, you will have over 100 elk camps in each sections of the unit. #2 at any given hunting season, you have alot of private land surrounding both units and hi roads that can't be traveled in late seasons, hence combining all the units to a general location.
For me, I got a cow last year. I was 1 of 9 for the combined season in unit 181 for late season hunts only and 1 of 5 who got one in the 4th season. 51 cows total taken in all seasons combined. There were over 150 ppl hunting and camping for the 4th season in my area. So, I walked in for about 2 miles, never saw a hunter that far in and a herd of 40 cows came into me, about 70 yards away. Like I said, I did not see 1 hunter where I went. It took 2 days to get her out. SO this tells you about the area. This is not an easy area to hunt. The ranches and their location takes the easy out of it! Much easier mountains to hunt near craig and such, but I love the challenge! Good luck to all.

Last edited by Defhero; 11/06/12.