houston;
Hopefully this finds you doing acceptably well this crisp and for us - very cold - Remembrance Day morning.

I'll toss in a couple thoughts here before heading up the mountain behind our house to see if I can invite either a young whitetail buck or even better a young bull moose home for dinner.

The first suggestion I'd offer is to have a quick look at the information compiled in this thread. While all of it isn't pertinent to a polar bear hunt, some of it emphatically is.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...60/Planning_a_hunt_in_Canada#Post6042560

As you've read in some of the responses, most of the average Canadians here aren't going to hunt polar bears because of the cost, but a good friend of mine and his late father ran a taxidermy shop that processed several so I can speak to this a bit from that perspective.

The hunts that were conducted by the hunters that brought the hides/skulls to the taxidermy shop were conducted by Inuit hunters. My understanding was that some of the hunts were actually conducted exclusively using dog sled transportation as well - giving the hunter a very realistic adventure.

A guide up here, Jim Shockey, wrote up his polar bear hunt which was done that way and if I can find it again I'll try to get you a link.

As I recall - dimly at best - but as I recall it, Jim and his guide were trapped in a blizzard for a couple days and ended up being very close to running out of food.

I should note from having friends and family that have been up there, even with today's SPOT technology and the like, if it's blowing bad up on the tundra help will not be on the way until it stops. What I'm suggesting here is that even today life could potentially become pretty sporty in a short time on a hunt like that which is part of the allure and the hazard at the same time.

So anyway I believe that if it is an adventure of a lifetime you are looking for, that hunting polar bears in our north with Inuit folks using traditional methods to get around up there would be just that and a fair bit more.

Again on a hunt of this sort, your physical and mental conditioning must be a primary consideration and necessary foundation for a successful hunt.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir, good luck whichever way you decide and good luck on your upcoming hunts regardless.

I'd better go see about those dinner invitations now. wink

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 11/11/12. Reason: added info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"