First of all I hope this isn't too dumb of a question - I'm really trying to better understand how things actually work when it comes to chambering a rifle.
I know they all go "Bang" when you pull the trigger but I'm trying to learn what makes things more accurate.

Anyway, here is my question and it concerns having a custom barrel installed on a rifle, in this case it would be on a model 700 short action.

So I think I get the chamber part and its need for being concentric to the rifle bore and so on, but where I'm confused is on the throat area of a rifle chamber. Is it correct that this should be keep to as tight a dimentions as possible to make it more accurate?? Or is that a bad idea??

I guess what I'm asking is this, can a new custom barrel be chambered/throated to best perform with factory ammo? I know that with handloading you can always "work up" a specific load to be more accurate, but is it possible to chamber a barrel to be really accurate for most factory ammo - or is that impossible to do the differences in factory ammo??

Again, I apologize if this is a really dumb question to ask.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"