Regarding lb. test of line for casting flies with a spin rig, each of us will have different experiences for fishing different situations. I'd go with as light a line as your fishing situation will allow. Light line casts better, presents a lure more naturally, and there is no doubt in my mind that fish hit better with light lines. A brushy, snaggy stream doesn't allow room for light line, but in open lakes or broad rivers, you have room for a fish to run and you can finesse him with light line. I've caught a 26 lb. chinook with a trout rod and six lb. line from a boat in salt water, but in small steelhead rivers and some bass situations, 20 lb. line is a good idea. My fishing with flies and casting bubble has only been for trout in the NW, up into BC. I think 8lb. line and six lb. leader has been my max. and more usually, six lb. line and four lb. leader, and some 4lb. line and leader in high lakes where the trout aren't big. I've caught trout to about 4 lbs. on this rig and there is fair chance of hooking bigger ones so I don't go any lighter
<br>
<br>
<br>One time I tied a leader to a spoon with a fly trailing it, and caught a few fish, but had tangle troubles. The floating rapala has some great merit and I will try that one of these days.
<br>
<br>This late afternoon I'm trying to decide whether to go after salmon till dark. Lots of big fish in the river but they just aren't biting, and the river is in flood stage so high it is over roads and I can paddle my kayak through the riverbottom forest, way up in the trees.