I broke down and bought one of the IO Sports Hellhounds, which is a US made AK, with stamped receiver. It came with a quad rail installed, and they claim, a match barrel. I chose to go stamped receiver rather than milled, partly due to cost, but also to a greater number of accessories available for the stamped guns. I also tried to keep my money in the US, rather than buy a Rooskie made rifle.

I added a Midwest Industries scope adaptor, which mounts to the receiver, rather than the top rail. Also a Hogue grip, and an adaptor that allows it to take any M4 Mil-Spec carbine stock. Finally I added a Magpul ACS, which I have on several rifles.

I tried a Leupold Prismatic first. While it was hard to get it sighted in, I did eventually get the scope on target at 100 yards. Factory Win 123 gr softpoint ammo did about a 2.5"-3" group at 100 yards, which is better than some AR's I've seen. I will be curious to see how it does with handloads, and perhaps a little larger scope. The Midwest mount is the lowest one I know of for AK's. I will probably try a little larger scope, and get it mounted as low as I can. Texas Weapon systems does have a replacement dust cover with Picatinny rail, but folks tell me it is not the equal of the side scope mount for accuracy.

The gun has a fairly smooth, if creepy trigger, and functioned reliably, so far. It is indeed crude in design compared to finely machined AR's, but it is still interesting from a purely mechanical point of view.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."