I remember seeing a big knife in the museum at the base of the San Jacinto Monument that was owned and carried by Sam Houston. I later saw that same knife at the State History Museum in Austin. It had a blade shape that was similar to the one you're using, except it was bigger.

Thanks for the info, I'm overdue for an Austin visit cool

Nice to hear that my instincts were correct, dunno that I'd want to haul an even BIGGER knife around tho. That knife I bought came from Crazy Crow as their "Taos Trapper's Knife", they say its based upon a fur trade-era knife from New Mexico.

Years ago when I was in Africa, what started out as machetes in the hands of the locals gradually became kitchen knives and finally paring knives as they were gradually sharpened away to nothing in constant daily use.

And these were of British-made steel, Wilkinson IIRC. Sounds reasonable to assume a similar situation prevailed around these parts too, once.

So when I look at depth of blade, I'm mostly thinking useful life under circumstances like that is all. That smaller knife I have would have been sharpened to a sliver in no time.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744