I just bought one of the new Ruger American rifles. Mine is in .308 Win. I am impressed with the quality in relation to the price.

I tore it all down and looked it over. The trigger group looks good. As an FYI, the little sheet lever trigger safety thingy is different than an Accu-trigger. In the Accu-trigger the sheet metal part moves a safety catch out of the way. In the American trigger, the sheet metal part releases the trigger to move. I like it better than the Accu-trigger because with the Accu-trigger it is possible for the striker to go off the sear, be caught by the safety; you have to work the bolt to get it to fire. Not likely, but possible. Not possible with the American.

The stock isn't much to talk about, but for the price I can live with it. The new bedding system is a great idea!

The magazine is nice and looks like it will be smooth and quiet, good job Browning! (Look at an X-Bolt magazine if you don't know what I mean.)

The action is fairly smooth. There is an occational zipper sound, but I think that can be fixed easily.

There is machine marks in the action but again, for the price I won't complain too much.

Remington 700's used to be the cheapest gun I would own, but with their quality problems, I think the Ruger American will take the low cost option in my gun safe.

I have not liked the other inexpensive rifle options, they looked cheap with multi-piece bolts, molded in swivel studs, , fugly lines in the stocks, etc. This rifle looks like real rifle lovers put it together.

I think they have a good and simple design overall. I am looking forward to shooting it to see what it will do at the range. Hope the good weather holds....