Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by RufusG
I don't know if I buy a lot of the assumptions in the OP. Large parts of the US don't have much in common with a third world country. If somebody sets up a "checkpoint", they had best be a world-class badass, and/or have a bunch of buddies, because there's going to be a whole bunch of regular folks with guns not taking too kindly to that. Add on the pent-up hate and discontent that's going to go along with a breakdown of law and order, and I'm not so sure ruling out long guns makes much sense.

That�s what everyone says before it happens. Then they see a half dozen, well armed hard cases and they start thinking very long and hard about when, where, and what to fight over. My first and foremost responsibility is to MY family. So if someone says, hey let�s go take on the hard cases because they�re running a road block, I�ll only do so if it�s directly threatening the well being of my family. When it all hits the fan, most take good stock of what�s really important, and the tough talk just quietly goes away.

Handguns make a lot of sense.

A checkpoint set up by local militia can be put out of business real quick by a single rifleman who knows his craft.

Everything is situational dependant, think METT.