...went out pheasant hunting this morning and came back with a deer. Into the first walk, both dogs, my weimaraner and my buddy's lab mix lock up and head straight for the cattails in the road ditch. My weim locks on point and the lab moves in and looks like he's rolling in something. Other friend looks in, says it's a dead deer, we call the dogs off. But the cattails keep moving. Yearling doe that was hit by a car this morning. We got two inches of fresh powder this morning, so it was easy to see where it was hit and dragged itself to the cattails. I put a load of #5s into the back of her head, called my friend the conservation officer and explained what happened. He called his station officer and talked to him while I was on the other line, apparently I was supposed to call before I shot, but other than that it's all good. The CO said to just gut it out, load it up and if anyone gives me flack to have them call him. We were 50 miles from town, so he didn't want to drive out an issue the transport tag, so he just gave me a possession tag when I got home. Hit in the spine right about the tenderloins, shattered the spine. Amazed that she could drag herself at all. Shoulders and hams are good, should be some loin that still isn't bruised. First time for everything and glad that I have a good relationship with the local CO.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile