Originally Posted by snuzem
Hi
I'm trying to work up some loads for a couple of rifles and can't reach my load manuals(Nosler) velocities. My barrel length is the same and the components are the same. However, I am not using one of the more expensive chronographs,just an entry level Chrony. I don't know if that can make a difference or not. My 6.5-284 is reading about 100 fps slower than the manuals velocities. My 30-06 is about the same. Am I chasing my tail trying to reach these velocities?
Thanks
Scott
..............Yes! 100 fps slower than the Nosler manual is nothing to lose any sleep or "chasing your tail" over.

If your 30-06 is chronying right on or about on par with the book velocities, then it stands to reason that maybe your 6.5-284 bore might be a little slower than were the barrel or barrels chrony`d in the Nosler manual.

It is very likely with probable certainty, that if the same components are used, there will be some 6.5-284 bores out there running even a little slower than yours. If you have any doubts about the chrony you`re using, then for collaboration, borrow a friend`s chrony if possible and see what that one says using the same loads.

You`re always going to have slower bores and faster bores in identical rifles, coming from the same manufacturer, chambered in the same round and when using the identical componentry and powder charges.

Besides the Nosler manual, I`d look around in other manuals to see if they are using the same components and Nosler bullet and look at what book velocities they are running and then average them all out.

Will losing 100 fps from the muzzle make the final result any different when hunting any game you could ever hunt using your 6.5-284 given the same shooting distances?.......Nope!

Most teens and maybe even younger, young adults and adults can throw a major league baseball faster than 100 fps or 68.181 mph.

In the world of 1800, 2000, 2200 mph and greater rifle bullet speeds from the muzzle, losing just over 68 mph is really nothing.

Rather than be concerned with losing 100 fps, concentrate on your accuracy instead. If you`re grouping well then why worry!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger