Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by JGray
I've had a Monarch 2-8 for several years and recently purchased the Viper in 2-7. I'd rate the Nixon higher than the Viper in clarity around the edges, but other than that haven't used the Viper enough to say any more. Both are plenty sharp at the center where it matters.

My eyes find the clarity thing swapped, but like JGray says, they're pretty comparable. I compared the standard "plex" reticles in each, & my eyes preferred the Vortex.

We're all different, but you're not likely to be displeased with either scope.

FC

I've been moving some scopes around on different rifles over the last few days so have made a point to spend some time comparing these two scopes side by side. I think I'll retract my previous vote for the Nikon and give the edge to the Vortex. The Viper does appear just slightly brighter and sharper to my eyes (this week, anyway grin). I have the BDC "circles" on the Nikon and don't care for them - too cluttered for me. I have the BDC dots on the Vortex and like it better. I think if I were shoppping for a new scope today in that price range, I'd be looking at Vortex first.