The more I read this thread, the more interested I become. My .204 is one of my most favorite & exciting rifles to use in my arsenal! I currently have a Remmy SPS Varmint with the heavy 26" barrel. I have replaced the cheap factory tupperware with a B&C fully-adjustable Medalist stock and it is topped with some real nice Bushnell Elite 6500 glass. It is awesome accurate & smokin fast! A real pain to tote around sometimes at 15.5 pounds, but man I've managed to make some kick azz shots with it ... even offhanded shots at times. The point is, weight can be a real deal maker at times. Much steadier aim.

Anyway, I'm finding myself in your shoes. I'm really craving a lightweight .204 rifle & have looked them all over & over & over again. I'm beginning to think that going too light might be a big mistake. All my lightweights tend to be less accurate. Whether it be the shorter barrels or just the fact that they're harder to hold a steady aim. Either way, I think a person needs to try to find a happy medium! I have searched high & low and feel I have found my rifle. I thought a 24" barrel would be perfect since it's not too short or too long. Not a sporter weight or a heavy varmint, either. Then I decided I want a rifle with a good trigger. Something that is adjustable & possibly two stage. Lastly, I decided that a rifle with a good wood or laminate stock is a great investment. I hate cheap factory tupperware type stocks more than I could ever explain. They are very flexible & are hard to try and make accurate. Wood is easier to work with & usually you can get excellent results when properly bedded. I've decided a bare rifle weighing in around 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 pounds is exactly what I want.

My rifle of choice: A Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

I can't wait to get my hands on it! grin

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD