You optics snobs don't need to read this because an optics ignoramus compared a couple of low cost binoculars in the following post. I know I am an ignoramus because the moderator of optics.com called me the village idiot. After all he has a degree in optical engineering and I didn't even get a GED until I was fifty-one years old!

Recently I became interested in a binocular that will show me about the same detail as my roof prism Bushnell Legend Ultra HD ED2 8X40 (426 feet field of view $160 with rebate) and have a much larger field of view. Today, December 27, 2012, the porroprism Nikon Action Extreme ATB 7X35 waterproof/fogproof binoculars (487feet field of view $125) arrived. The weather is totally overcast at 3PM. John, my son-in-law opened the package and started looking through them. �These are nice!� he exclaimed emphasizing �nice�.

I laid out a couple sand bags on the edge of the porch but he was not interested. He continued to hold them in his hand. �I can read �Can you read� on the pump house. The field of view is huge,� he continued. The pump house is 127 yards away.

I put the roof prism Bushnells on the sandbag and focused them. I could read the second line and sorta make out some letters in the third line. Finally John handed me the Nikons and I gave him the Bushnells. I put them on the sandbag and adjusted them with the right side blocked. Then I adjusted the diopter for the right eye and adjusted the binocular to its best adjustment for my eyes. Definitely these are better than the Zen-Ray 7X36 I purchased and returned last month. Those allowed me to read only the first line. I couldn�t tell any difference when looking into the woods beyond the pump house with them and the Bushnells. Same thing with the Nikons. The Zen-Rays certainly weren�t good enough to relegate the Bushnells to backup status. The Nikons, although only 7X, allowed me to read the second line. So I get some bins for 1/3 the cost that are maybe 10% better than the Zen-Rays.

I guess at this time I should add what my gunsmith says, �A sample of one tells you nothing.� Never the less, we average income shoppers can�t afford to purchase three or four samples of the same item and use the best one. Maybe this set was the best of a production run, maybe the Zen-Rays were the worst of a run. We can�t know. What we can know is if you see me in the woods next year you will see the Nikons on my chest. I will take the wonderful Bushnells from the bino harness and install these Nikons

Sunset is at 4:47 today. I went back out and laid them on the sandbags at 4:40. With the Nikons I could barely make out the fork of the antlers on the fence 131 yards away. At 4:44, if I didn�t know they were antlers, I could not at make them out. Back and forth every minute between them and the Bushnells proved again what I have stated many times here: "Larger exit pupil helps in low light" is an internet optical myth. The Bushnell allowed me to see the fork until 4:54. That�s an extra fourteen minutes. Finally at 4:59 I could not tell the antlers were there. For those who don�t know exit pupil is the objective diameter divided by the magnification power. Both have an exit pupil of 5mm.

Edited to correct the objective on the Bushnells

Last edited by Ringman; 12/28/12.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter