Couple quick thoughts Dan

First off IME 180's @ 3k doesn't always result in the accuracy one may be looking for. Oh I know and get it that some have found it but I always wonder how often.

My experience with the WSM is still that H4350 gets me the speed and the accuracy that I search for. (2900-2950)

R17 while it seems to give me another 50 to maybe 70 fps I also normally feel that I'm giving up some accuracy and that's not a trade I'm interested in.

Next, if you're thinking 8 lbs with that scope and such you're not gonna hit it.

Next, I'd sure not do a 700 WSM but that's just me. To date I've not found one that will feed in a manner which I find acceptable.

This is just me but I'd be looking 70EW with an Edge handle on it. And or find a used Montana 325 WSM for 800 bones or so and then have a barrel stuck on it (McGowan maybe...sorry I couldn't resist) that would go .6-.62" at the mzl when cut to 23".

Either of those rigs would suit me fine, both would shoot very well and be close to the 8 lb weight you're thinking.

Scope, I'd go with a 3-9 Leo or 3-10 Leo w/M1 on top.

Best of luck to ya!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy