I've handled a few now and have formed some opinions. Hope this helps.

If you are looking for a general purpose field knife for dressing and skinning, it would be hard to beat the #7 style or Dropped Hunter in my opinion. For meat processing you may want something with a slimmer blade and more tip, like a Bird and Trout or Slim, to slide between the ribs. The Lite Hunter may be a great compromise between those. I haven't tried a Lite Hunter yet but it is on my short list and know a lot of guys think highly of it.

The size of your hands will play a factor as well. While several of Gene's models look very similar to each other, the overall proportion of the blade and width of the handle varies. If you have larger hands you find you like different models than someone with smaller hands. Unfortunately there is no way to test handle an Ingram knife first (unless you know another owner. If it doesn't fit you the way you want it is easily sold or traded to try a different model. While I like some of mine better than others, I have never received one that I regretted buying. Don't hesitate to call or email Gene when your order comes up to discuss what you are looking for. He has always been quick to offer suggestions to me and will make you something that isn't listed in his catalog as well.

In my experience, the wood scales hold up very well to field use so if you like nice wood, don't hesitate. You will give up little if anything in durability to Micarta. A quick wipe down is all it takes for my wood scales to look like new again.
A little Renaissance Wax will keep them in shape long term.

[Linked Image]

Sorry for my poor photography. I did not begin to do justice to the wood or quality of the finish work.
Left to Right:
1.Custom Slim with a 2 3/4 inch blade in .110 Stock. S30V and Amboyna Burl. I bought to use for caping. A bit short in my opinion for general dressing use.
2.#7 in S30V with Desert Ironwood. 3 x 7. Very comfortable general field knife. A classic Ingram drop point design.
3.#7+ Custom 3 1/4 X 7 3/8. Desert Ironwood burl and S30V. I loved my #7 but wanted to try just a bit more length. He added a 1/4 inch to the blade and a touch to the handle. I really like the way it turned out. I also got to pick out the actual block to use for the scales so this one really feels like a custom.
4. Dropped Hunter 3 3/8 x 7 1/2 in S30V with Green/Black linen Micarta. Also a very comfortable knife for general use.
5. #4 Bird and Trout 3 1/4 x 7 1/4 in D2 with Spalted Maple scales. This is a great processing knife with the slender blade and sharp tip. Obviously works great on small game too as the name implies.
6. #3 Semi 2 3/4 in S30V .110 stock. Black linen Micarta. The handle is just a bit short for me. I didn't order this knife, it was available when I placed another order so I snapped it up. Should make a great skinner with the thin blade stock and lots of belly but I have not found the opportunity to use it.