Right on with those suggestions for sensible cartridges and rifles (if you don't catch wildcat fever): .22-.250, 6mm Rem, .243 and such are readily available and will give good service for the work you described.

If you just can't live without $100 (or more) dies and another fee for a chamber reaming, check on the availability of brass before you start thinking outside the magazine. When cases are hard to find/uncommon, the price goes up and you shoot less. Case forming time and loads are regarded as a burden by some, while others think of it as time invested in a pleasant hobby. Which one are you?

"Hi, my name is Jim and I'm a handloader. I can control myself most of the time and have a gun safe full of oddball guns that will make you drool. Look at the gorgeous wood on this .227 rifle, and forget about finding affordable bullets. How 'bout this beauty that shoots half-inch groups at 150 yards, but only when using 70 grains of Finnish powder at $31 per pound, one-manufacturer brass that needs 10 minutes of tweaking before usable and drives hand-swaged 109 grain Silver bullets at 3350 fps?"

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.