Originally Posted by mathman

The LFN is usually a good balance between aerodynamics, weight distribution, and "smack" that works over a range of load levels.

I agree. LFN-type bullets tend to be a good choice for hunting revolvers and large-bore hunting rifles of the lever variety, in my experience. I say "LFN-type" because there are non-LBT bullet moulds out there that aren't LFN's but are close enough that I call 'em LFN's in conversation with other shooters/hunters.

But that doesn't mean I only shoot/hunt with LFN bullets. Over the past 15 years or so I've been messin' around with cast bullets quite a bit, and in the process I've learned that there's a lot of variables that have to be accounted for. There is quite simply no single bullet that will "do it all". When you take into account caliber, meplat, alloy, and velocity (both muzzle and impact) you'll find that there is a place for RFN's, SWC's, WFN's, LFN's, and HP versions of all them.

Like many others, I used to worship at the altar of the LBT hardcast bullet. I've since learned there's a lot more useful cast bullet stuff out there and am far more ecumenical in my loading and shooting. Veral Smith's book mentioned in the link in the OP, is a good place to start learning about this stuff, but Glen Fryxell's book is a far more comprehensive and advanced cast bullet technology opus for those who want to explore further.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars