Originally Posted by annapolis76eb
but ended up having really good luck with a fairly cheap boot. Last year I used Keen Targhee's (about $140). They have 200 gram of thinsulate and are extremely light and feel like a tennis shoe. I wore them with the heaviest Smartwool socks you can buy and had no problem with warmth at 11000 ft in zero degree weather.

I don't know how you guys get by in truly 0 degree (O F right?) weather in boots with that little insulation. Sure, they are fine when walking and moving a lot, but when I qm hunting, I am moving slow for long periods or even not moving at all for shorter periods of time. I'm not a big stand hunter, but I don't hunt at full speed either.

When on a backpack hunt, the sun goes down early at that time of year, and I find myself trying to burn my boots in a campfire if I'm lucky and more often, I'm camping cold and just suffering with cold toes until I finally have to turn in, if only to warm them back up to the point where they don't hurt quite so much.

Must be a wimp, but I need more insulation than you guys use. So, 400 will let me get by, if I have room for heavy socks too.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.