Originally Posted by fish head
I should have added this. The absolute worst vehicles I've ever driven in snowy conditions were all rear wheel/open dif/one wheel drive.

I have swapped ends a few times on the highway in a LS rear diff rig always on black ice or freezing rain conditions. Also saw my dad kick the rear out and slide backwards of a gravel fs road due to both tires locking up and lack of any lateral traction. But that was off highway. My current rig is a LS tacoma and its very good in ice and snow, but i run studded snow tires after wrecking my last tacoma on black ice. Tires make more of a difference than anything.

An open diff rear is not one wheel drive. Its either two wheel drive or zero wheel drive. If you have traction both tires put equal power to the ground. If you break one free neither tire puts power to the ground so its zero wheel drive

In my opinion there is zero advantage to a LS diff on highway in slippery conditions. More likely to lose control especially going around a corner if you have your foot on the gas. Off highway they definitely have some advantages

Sean