Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks
Originally Posted by richardca99
I'd like to start planning a Kodiak bear hunt. While I have lots of hunting experience, I haven't hunted bears, and I haven't been to Kodiak.

What's the best way to start this odyssey? How difficult is it to draw a nonresident tag for Kodiak? Are these typically 7-10 day hunts, are do you hike in or float plane, etc?

Thank you.

For you non-residents? Piece of cake. 100% guaranteed. Unlike we residents who would have to wait for hell to freeze over first. Ya better have deep pockets tho.
Bear in Fairbanks

Although, I'm a non-resident and reaped the benefits of the current regulations, I don't understand the screwing of the AK residents in regard to the Kodiak tags.

I'd be pizzed if I was an AK resident with how they handle it.

Simple, as far as I'm concerned. A non-resident is required to have a guide. Guides are allocated a certain number of tags in their unit. Therefore, if you book with a guide, you're guarenteed a tag. A resident has an extremely small chance of drawing. Different areas are alloted different numbers of tags depending on how Fish & Feathers think the resource can handle the pressure. Therefore, the chances of a resident getting a tag are something like 4% or perhaps less. Why should a resident have a 4% chance and a non-resident a 100% chance? Just me bitchin'.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.