Originally Posted by 300Winnie
Just getting into carrying for self defense. I have hand loaded all of my rifle and revolver ammunition for years, but none of that (with the exception of grizzly protection in my .44 Mag) was for self-defense.

Who rolls their own for self defense, and of those what is your favorite component bullet. I just acquired a .40 S&W.

Thanks.

if you are a good--and careful--handloader, by all means forge ahead and load your own.

there is so much pure nonsense about this topic--and just like a pest it never goes away.

if a chap is not a good, careful, experienced handloader, he/she should indeed buy/use factory fodder--period.

though i do roll my own self defense ammo, the .380 auto , and .32 are definite exceptions, and the 9mm is a "sometimes" exception...

for factory fodder in 9mm, the 124 gr +p gold dot is nirvana--bc.

if moving a step down the ladder--but mighty fine medicine anyway--is the plain vanilla 115 gr rem. hollowpoint, factory fodder which can oftentimes be found in boxes of 100 at wally world for about 27 bucks.

regarding components--we're are living in the days where things are so good--so many things now are "new and improved" that you just about can't go wrong with a multitude of the offerings.

nevertheless, i prefer speer gold dot above all else in 9mm, .357 mag, and .45 acp

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...