Hi all -

Let me first say that yes, I truly screwed up. I let myself get taken and now have a firsthand appreciation for why some feel shame when they allow themselves to be victimized. It's a sick feeling.

In October 2010, in a rush of exuberance, I handed over my Colorado public land 6x6 and a $ 500 deposit to a Denver-area taxidermist without checking his references. After 35 years of hunting, this was the first time I had something that I really wanted to hang on the wall.

Twenty six months pass... numerous unreturned calls ... a couple promises that it will be ready in 60 - 90 days ... more unreturned calls. During my last telephone conversation with him a couple weeks back, he agreed to return my deposit and horns -- but wouldn't commit to a time for me to come by. "Call me next week." Now more unreturned calls.

I'm unsure whether I should pursue this as a civil matter in small claims court, file a criminal complaint against this guy with the sheriff or whether I should take it to the DOW? If he has knowingly sold my horns, is this a federal Lacey Act issue?

Please don't make the same mistake I did. It will make you sick. When you try to enjoy any memories of that hunt, you'll just get angry, sad or both. NEVER USE A TAXIDERMIST WITHOUT THOROUGHLY CHECKING REFERENCES. NEVER.

Appreciate hearing if any of you have dealt with a similar issue and have any insight on the legal aspects.