Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Hey guys,

I am looking for a range/hunting report on either of these two rifles. Anyone out there have one, and care to submit their opinion of them?
.............Below are three review links. Two of them talk about the Ruger Frontier (Ruger`s earlier version compact) and the other is about the newer Ruger compact. Happen to own a 300 WSM Ruger Frontier.

The differences between the earlier Frontiers and the newer Ruger compacts are;

Earlier Frontiers have a scout scope mount forward of the receiver for scout scope use. The newer compacts do not (conventionally mounted scope only). The Frontier can go both ways.

The earlier Frontiers at 6 3/4 lbs w/o scope have heavier contour barrels and heavier laminated stocks, while the new compacts at roughly 6 lbs w/o scope have lighter contour barrels and lighter laminated/wood stocks.

Other than the above differences, the rifle OAL is still the same and with regard to everything else, action, accuracy, handiness, field use, etc, the reviews should be about the same, which is why I also included the two Frontier links. Many things said about the older Frontier can also apply to the new Ruger compacts.

My Frontier was accurate (factory ammo and with reloads) from NIB. Since the bedding and free-float job, the rifle is more accurate now.

Here are the links;

www.gunblast.com/Ruger_FrontierRiflehtm

www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/03/longgun_reviews_scout_102606/

www.rifleshootermag.com/2010/09/23/featured_rifles_rs_rugermodel77_201004/

The bottom link is a review of the newer Ruger compact.

Happy reading.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger