The things that helped me the most when I moved here and started hunting in colorado:

(1) the Elk Hunting University series of articles on the Dept of Wildlife website.

(2) Scouting the national forest boundary areas with google earth -- these often equate to the transition zones between the private ranch land at lower elevation and the aspen and fir forests as you move up into the N.F. The whole food, water, cover triangle is typically found in these zones.

(3) Also figuring out which N.F. roads are closed to motor vehicles. No access = no crowds of ATVs = less pressure on the elk. Ideally you want to position yourself to be where the elk run to when pressured. They never run towards the sound of ATVs.

(4) If you are hunting elk with the wind at your back fuggetaboutit. To the elk you smell like a very dangerous skunk -- even from a half mile away. Keep the wind in your face whenever possible.

(5) Shot placement. Shot placement. Shot placement. Hit only one lung and you could spend two days tracking your elk in dark steep, timber. Broadside shots that hit both lungs and/or the heart will put the animal on the ground pretty quick. A big bore magnum will rarely compensate for poor shot placement. You need direct hits on both lungs and/or the heart for a quick kill. I cannot emphasize this enough. Tracking a wounded elk in steep terrian covered with dog hair timber... trust me on this one.

(6) Plan for retrieving your elk. Study the videos available on field dressing. Have equipment, at least back in your truck to winch an elk out of a hole or gully if necessary. A 700 to 800 lb animal that simply falls between two boulders can be nearly impossible to dress and quarter. Add some steep terrain and it can be a total nightmare.

(7) Relax and enjoy the experience. Your really not elk hunting unless it is physically, mentally and emotionally exhausting. If you are meant to take an elk that day, you probably will.

(8) In the Colorado high country it snows 12 months out of the year, and winds can reach hurricane strength. A 4x4 with chains, winter survival gear, weather updates, and making camp a bit lower and closer to pavement can all payoff if a blizzard hits. The morning after the blizzrd is when you want to be hunting, not worrying about your own rescue.

(9) Keep your rifle close at hand. On several occasions I have set mine down, walked few yards away to pee or pull off my pack, and hey look, elk!

(10) Trying to "motel camp" will typically put you at least an hour's drive from where you want to park and hike in. As tempting as this may sound, you will lose two hours of precious sleep every day of your hunt. Four season tents with stoves,a hard-sided camper or a rented cabin near your hunting area are your best options.

Last edited by jcbcolo; 02/15/13.