I'd look for a good, used traditional (either a percussion cap or flint-lock) black powder muzzle-loader IF (and that's a BIG "IF") if you know someone who shoots muzzleloaders and can help advise you on what to look for and what to avoid in buying a used black powder, muzzle-loading rifle.

Check at your local shooting range or club and ask if there is a black powder club that shoots there. If so, get the president's name and phone number... and give him a call.

Most traditional muzzle loader shooters are really nice folks and the vast majority of 'em are truly HONEST... and would be willing to help you pick out a good, used rifle that you could probaby buy for half the price (or less) of the cost of a new model.

A few years ago, I bought an older, but like "new" CVA (Connecticut Valley Arms) .50 caliber, percussion cap Hawken Carbine (a short 24" barreled, half-stocked muzzle loader) to use as my deer hunting rifle for just $100, but the owner and I were "friends", so he sold it to me for $50 less than the "asking" price ($150) he had put on the rifle and could have probably gotten since the rifle was in excellent condition with a bright bore and no real "wear" marks.

However, I've seen a good many truly fine used, good-quality, traditional muzzle loading rifles in fine condition that sold for $250 or less... so it shouldn't cost you a lot to get a very good, very usable muzzle loading rifle.

You've gotten good, thoughtful advice from the other members... re-read their posts and remember their suggestions.

Good luck in your quest... and make GOOD smoke...! grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...