I've never played with the Speer versions that were once availiable to handloaders. But I have done a fair amount of hunting and shooting with both the new and older versions.
In my M70 FWT, .308 or my old 700 VSFS, the older factory loads never impressed me with their accuracy. About 2.5 MOA in the M70 Fwt. and 1.5 MOA in the heavy barreled Remington.
I pulled the old bullets and found that a charge of 44 grs of Varget reduced the groups in the M70 to 1.5 MOA or slightly less.
The new factory loads are much different. In my custom '06, they shoot MOA for 3 at either 100 or 300 yds. That's the 180 gr. load, so I don't fool with them.
But, with the 165 gr. loads, my M70, .308 was still shooting 2.5 MOA. I tried pulling the bullets and reloading them. It is a very frustrating experience. The bullets and the cases are both nickel plated. I can't even get them to crimp in place very well. 44 grs. of Varget fills the case so much that the powder charge is highly compressed due to the very long bullets. And they don't shoot much better, maybe 1.75 MOA.
But the significant thing is the bullets will move in the case if stressed much. Not acceptable for hunting. Factory loads apparently are cemented in place. They don't pull easily at all.
This is why I doubt you'll see the new designs availiable to handloaders.
I do like the older designs. The last I heard, they are still made for tactical applications. It seems they stay on course when shot through angled window glass. Something I think a hunter would appreciate if he shoots through any brush. E