IMHO, a combination of factors.

With all the insane leftist gun grabbing agenda, people are stocking up. Here in NY, IF this so called "SAFE" act sticks, we are going to get a NICs background check every time we want to buy a box of .22's. F-that! I don't blame anyone that buys a lifetimes worth.

There are many that are buying large quantities to flip for a profit, and while some have problems with that, I just consider it Capitalism. If the price is ridiculous, don't buy it! Let them be stuck with it.

You can't, well some might be able to, reload rim fire ammo, so that's a 3rd reason.

I was at my local gun shop this past weekend as a friend was picking up a Henry 22 lever for his teenage son, and I was surprised how well stocked the store was. I've avoided gun shops since Sandy Hook, as I figured (mostly from reading here) that they would be crowded/stripped bare. That wasn't the case, but the owner did tell me he had one customer that offered to buy "all your ammo". The owner said the guy offered around $40k, but the owner said no. Didn't ask more questions. I just grabbed 4 x 50 round boxes of Remington Thunderbolt 22lr, a box of 1000 Remington small pistol primers (he had plenty of primers but little powder).

Hopefully this insanity will pass, but the Libretards are certainly trying to disarm the regular folks. -TomT