Originally Posted by Timothy_Murphy
but I am wired for yards.

So am I. Virtually everybody in the civilian world in this country is, and that doesn't need to change. Most use yards for distance measurement, even when using mil scopes. It works just fine.

1 moa at 100 yds is for all practical purposes 1 inch.

That certainly is, but what does that get you? Virtually nobody seriously uses the reticle to range with these days, so forget about that. If using inches for drop and drift, then MOA is easier but the best advice is to stop doing that. Once you make the transition to measuring drop and drift in angular units it no longer matters.

but I thought the basis for simplicity with mildots was the fact that the tangent of one mil-radian is .001

Basically just remember 1 in a thousand. A mil is one yard at 1000 yards. 1/10th yard at 100 yards. Very easy to remember.

The only thing that could be easier is if a yard was made up of 100 centi-yards which would make the math easier for ranging, but like I said, we have lasers these days.

Both systems work just fine, it's just a matter of preference. Don't take this as pushing you toward mils, I'm just saying don't be afraid of them. If you're "fully functional" on an MOA scope you can be the same on a mil scope in a whopping 5 minutes or so. It's really not a big deal. After some use you may find you like it better as many do. If not, you'll at least be competent with one if somebody hands one someday.