I've just this spring started casting my own bullets. So far I've been happy with the results...255 grain Lyman mold. I've got some foundry certified ingots; Lyman 2 and pure lead. To make them more user friendly for me I've tried melting a bar of each to pour into 1# ingots for future casting. Have done so twice and have about 20# of the mix in small ingots. My question is the melt point of the 2 different metals; the Lyman 2 alloy bar is about completely melted before the lead ingot even starts to melt. I've weighed each bar before starting the melt and have done so twice. I guess what surprises me is that I would have thought the pure lead would melt at lower temps than the alloy. Once the Lyman 2 ingot is molten, the lead ingot melts at a fairly quick and consistent rate, but before the L2 melts there is almost no visible sign of the lead even beginning to melt. I'm obviously not a metallurgist but am I missing something or is this typical of the alloy vs pure (foundry certified 99.9%) lead. Thanks in advance.