Originally Posted by rlott
Originally Posted by mart
Growing up back east, my mentor had one. It was his go to deer rifle. We hunted fairly heavy timber back then and shots were rarely over 100 yards and more often than not under 50 yards. He had a gun cabinet full of nice rifles but I never saw him grab any other rifle for deer hunting.

Sounds like we had the same mentor, except he would give me the Ruger and he took the 300 Savage. I stumbled across an ad for one in the CF classifieds a few months ago & couldn't resits grabbing it.

[Linked Image]

My mentor always seemed to like that little rifle. Of course he was either still hunting heavily wooded areas or driving to guys who where on stands so his shots were always close. I remember kind of scoffing (to my self) his choice of weapons. I had just bought my first centerfire rifle, a Remington 788 in 6mm, and couldn't grasp how anyone would chose that stumpy little pistol cartridge over a hot rod like the 6mm. I saw the light after seeing his little carbine in action and had wanted one ever since. Found this one last year. That's a 50 yard target. First 5 for a group and the second group of 3 after adjusting the scope for my zero.

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.