Pictures are all over the web, including of our valley. Sleeman Gulch is where I live. The fire and burnouts are within 3/4 to a 1/2 mile of the house, which is really nothing in this terrain.

It jumped over 4 miles in 1 hour early in the life of this fire.

Some good friends got some equipment and their property burned pretty bad, but they and their house are OK.

Another friend has a blackened lawn, hillside and lost some timber, but the house was spared. Others weren't so lucky.

Thanks again.

To answer some of the speculation, my wife and I bought raw property, and built our home with our combined efforts, time, and skills. It appraised for over 4 times what we had into it, and we hope to have it paid off in another 10 years. I am 40, and my kids deserve to grow up in the hills they love. I would do whatever it takes to NOT live in town with the rest of society, as my Christian values do not align well with main stream western Montana these days, apparently. I am 3rd generation Montanan, and my wife is 5th. We believe in the blessings of family, hard work, education and fresh air. There is little that a generous dose of ambition and prayer will not overcome.

If you think I am a high roller, whiner, or any of the other provocative conjecture offered by one poster in particular, I feel bad for you. It is apparent that you deserve little other than our collective pity.

I once dealt with someone with a very similar view on the world, including the jealousy and upside down perspective on life. He was a (very liberal) union steward... who would have thought?!

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck