Glad to see some are getting birds and doing some shooting.. Doves are pretty "ify" here in my area. In a good year I might get a dozen.. This morning I was out looking for a cow elk, and saw 3 or 4 get airborne, but no shotgun.. Be a pretty poor season for us so far.. The worst was Sept. one after a brief grouse hunt we were home, and it was pretty hot.. I decided to take my goldens to the local fishing lake for a swim.. Kate the young one loves to swim.. She doesn't need to retrieve anything swimming is a joy for her.. Peach likes to swim and fetch sticks or ducks.. They both paddled around for 15 minutes, and then we headed home to take it easy for a couple hours before supper and an evening elk hunt..
The dogs headed to their spots for rest.. A couple hours later, we were getting a bite to eat, and Peach was up on her cushion.. When she walked out to eat her supper, I noticed something on the cushion.. A big dark wet spot.. We looked her over and found her back legs and tail covered with blood!!!! We checked her over and found an arrow shaped cut on the left rear leg.. Called the vet and hurried 40 miles to his office Sunday eve..

Poor Peach under went emergency surgery.. She had severed the tendon in that leg!! Doc thinks she will be fine.. She is in a cast now and will be for 8 weeks.. Made her rest completely the first 5 days, but now every time I move, she is there hoping she will not miss the next ride.. It is hard to leave those sad eyes behind. Hopefully she will be able to go with me more this next week.. Grouse hunting has been very slow, and with Peach recovering, our all day trips for grouse and trout have been eliminated.. But on the positive side, we got her there on time, and she should recover fine..
Be careful of your little pals while afield..

Molon Labe