I got bit by a Rabid Cat when I was in the 7th Grade in about 1970. Confirmed, of course after they sent the Cats head off to Veterinary School at A&M.
I was given the stomach vaccinations the first day of being bit, and another series of shots every day for 8 days in the stomach also. Basically our old Family Doctor believed twice the dose was better than death.

Anyhow, not a very fun ordeal, but of course I lived.
Best friend growing ups Dad was also a Veterinarian, and had had the same series of Ant- Rabies Shots and assured me the Vacine was 100% effective.

And on the issue of Bow Hunting Deer during the Bow only season, Texas changed our laws about 3 years ago so that a Licensed CHL Holder CAN carry a Pistol of any kind while Bow Hunting for Whitetails & Mulie's while it is archery hunting season. If you don't have a CHL, then your screwed if the Game Warden catches a non- CHL Holder toting a pistol during bow season. I always did any way as I figured a big ass fine was better than contacting Rabies!

For some reason, I thought that CO & NM had followed suite on the Laws applying to CHL Holders for Bow Season. Check on your State Laws, of course, to find out for sure.
Regardless, when I'm bow hunting CO & NM, I pack my Glock 20 for possible Bear Encounters & possible Rabid Varmits. Just Saying

By the Way, did they ever determine if the Coyote that bit you was Rabid ?
In the last couple of years, I've put down a couple of sickly looking Coyotes & skunks at the Ranch that I'm pretty sure were in the end stages of Rabies.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/23/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~