Originally Posted by pullit
I like the spec's on your rig for sure. I am thinking of a brother build to yours but in a 260 and working on a 700 instead of a 7 action but could be talked into a 7.

Not to be picky but did you mean .010 instead of .1 ?

I think that the 700 would be better suited for the 260 so you can seat the bullets out where they need to be.

.10" was not a typo. I haven't dinked with it too much after I found a seating depth that worked.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/03/berger-tips-for-loading-vld-bullets/

Writing in the report, Berger�s Eric Stecker observes: �Many reloaders feel (and I tend to agree) that meaningful COAL adjustments are .002 to .005. Every once in a while I might adjust the COAL by .010 but this seems like I am moving the bullet the length of a football field. The only way a shooter will be able to benefit from this situation is to let go of this opinion that more than .010 change is too much (me included).�

For target competition shooters (for whom it is practical to seat into the lands), Berger recommends the following test to find your rifle�s VLD sweet spot.

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL:
1. .010″ into (touching) the lands (jam) 6 rounds
2. .040″ off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
3. .080″ off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
4. .120″ off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Berger predicts that: �One of these 4 COALs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. Once you know which one of these 4 COAL shoots best then you can tweak the COAL +/- .002 or .005

Last edited by tunacan; 09/25/13.