One of the things Charlie does sell is customer service. I know other custom smiths who do, but I also know some who pretty much build the rifle they build for everybody and that's it. They take the down payment, build the rifle, and ship it out.

Charlie knows more about stock fit than most, and especially more than most who use synthetic stocks. He also will work with different actions, not just 700's or 700 clones, and so knows the pros and cons of many--and what might work for a particular customer's desires. He'll work up a handload for the customer in his indoor 100-yard range, using a Pressure Trace system. He often delivers rifles personally; I know he drove at least a couple to Georgia this year, combining the trip with some other business. All of that counts for something, and is one reason he has a lot of repeat customers who've been ordering his rifles for years. I've spent time with quite a few of 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck