Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by Noexperience
Oink going to ask all and if you have pictures please add if you can. I want to build the ultimate elk rifle that I also hope to take to Alaska. The only decision I have made so far is the use of a Remington 700 long action. So,
1 barrel?
2. Chambering?
3. What to do to the action?
4. Stock choice
5. Metal finish?
What about a nosler rifle?

I want it completed within a years time and any recommendations for a builder in the northwest would be appreciated. $$ don't make to much difference but I don't want to throw money away either. I want an amazing tool, not a wall hanger. Thanks in advance

1) These days with the wait times everyone has.I'd look at a Brux cut rifled barrel.

2) Its more important that you can handle it and shoot it well than running a cannon.I see guys all the time usuing a bigger caliber than they can shoot well...... if you can place the bullet where it needs to go. Your better off.
If it were me.... I run a 130g xbullet in a 270 WCF and call it a day.

3) Not a thing wrong with a worked over M700.Dave Manson makes a tap mandril that rechases the reciever threads and resquares the front of the action.You can also kiss the bolt face.
M700s are like screw drivers.Lots of gunsmiths know how to true them up and make the work very well.
Be sure to get a Rifle Basic trigger.

4) Stocks are like women.
Pick one that fits.
I like McMillian HTGs in edge fill.

5) I've used just about everything at one time or another.
Kinda fond of Black Tee. Just about the slickest stuff you will ever find with the right lube.
Of the paints I like Duracoat.
I dont care for it inside the action.But my understanding is they have a slick version just for that now.

You could save yourself alot of monkeying around and just order a NULA in 270 WCF.

dave